Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Starry, Starry Night Wool Felt Nativity

Grandmuvver once told me I could do a better job utilizing the greenery from my yard in arrangements for inside. That tickled me. She also reminded me often, "You never know when you're going to need a good stick." For all of those arrangements, you know. I took her words to heart and have been picking up good sticks ever since. For nearly two years a grocery sack of good sticks has been stashed under one of the skirted side tables in my dining room. The sturdy, straight sticks came from Math Girl's yard and the grandpeeps  helped me collect them. Finally, they have been put to use in the stable for the nativity scene I've been working on FOREVER. (It's not that it's so spectacular. I'm slow.)

First the side walls came together.



In order to attach the roof sections, prop the sides up on a highly technical piece of equipment.
A phone book.

Continue gluing.
I lost only three fingers with the hot glue process.
That's better than normal.

I wanted the background to be something other than sticks,
great as those sticks are.


Then it came to me.
The city of Bethlehem in the background.


Ooooo, this is going to be fun.


Attach the village pieces and then..
run with scissors!

Why not embroider something like Van Gogh's
Starry Starry Night?


The responses I received were varied.
"That'll be spectacular!"
or
"Do what now?"

Stitch, stitch, stitch.
One of my friends has one of those gizmos that tracks steps, calories, energy consumption, etc.
All I need is a gizmo that counts stitches.
Along the way I would do a little test drive.

Then I glued the backdrop to the frame.


And added Mary, Joseph, and the baby Jesus
who last Christmas had no stable at all.
Not only was there no room in the inn,
there was no inn or stable in sight.


Sweet Mary.


And Joseph.

One of my grandgirls helped craft the baby Jesus.
Her brother the budding engineer designed the manger.
You never know when you might need a good stick.

I couldn't resist this label which is sewn to the back.
Yes it did.
And worth every stitch.

1 comment:

  1. You never cease to amaze me!Weezie

    ReplyDelete